Ha’aheo o Hawai’i – Cleopatra’s Barge Sources
Ha’aheo o Hawai’i – Cleopatra’s Barge
- The National Museum of American History – Smithsonian Institution – Online Staff Publications articles by Paul F. Johnston Ph. D. who let the Smithsonian Institution’s discovery and excavation of the wreck of Ha’aheo o Hawai’i-Cleopatra’s Barge in Hanalei Bay 1995-2000 online at americanhistory.si.edu
-“Preliminary Report on the 1996 Excavations of the Wreck of Ha’aheo o Hawai’i (ex-Cleopatra’s Barge) in Hanalei Bay, Kaua’i,”
-“Hanalei Redux” Increase & Diffusion: Readable online in Smithsonian Web Magazine 3 (March 1997).
-“A Million Pounds of Sandalwood: The History of Cleopatra’s Barge in Hawai’i” The American Neptune 63.1 (Winter 2002) 5-45. Online link to the article. The history of Ha’aheo O Hawai’i-Cleopatra’s Barge from 1820-1824, after it was purchased by Kamehameha II and used as his royal yacht.
- Cleopatra’s Barge: the Crowninshield Story – David L Ferguson 1976 A history of the Crowninshield family of Salem highlighting Cleopatra’s Barge.
- George Crowninshield Yacht, Cleopatras Barge – Peabody Museum 1959; An informative booklet focused on the Peabody’s exhibit of original, exquisite interior furnishings selected by George Crowninshield for Cleopatra’s Barge.
- Russian View of Honolulu 1809-1826 – Glynn Barratt 1988 First-Hand account of Russian ship officers dinners aboard Ha’aheo o Hawai’i.
- Hawai’i`s Russian Adventure: A New Look at Old History – Peter Mills 2002 Features a Kaua’i-focused look at the removal of Kaumuali’i aboard the brig.
- The Cleopatra’s Barge (text of a Kaua’i Historical Society talk) By John Lydgate in Pacific Marine Review, Volume 18. Text of an informative talk on the complete history of Haʻaheo O Hawaiʻi-Cleopatraʻs Barge in Massachusetts and Hawaiʻi.
- The Story of George Crowninsshieldʻs Yacht, Cleopatraʻs Barge: on a Voyage of Pleasure to the Western Islands and the Mediterranean, 1816-1817 – 1913 A Crowninshield family book on the yachtʻs cruise to Europe.